What Causes Ice Dams?
Ice dams are a pervasive and damaging winter roofing problem caused by poor roof ventilation and warm attic space. Left untreated, ice dams can cause serious damage to your roof, gutters, paint, insulation, drywall, structure, and can even contribute to mold. Ice dams form when melting snow on a roof runs off and refreezes at the edge of a roof.
How to Prevent Ice Dams
- Keep your gutters clean
- Eliminate or reduce direct sources of heat in attic
- Increase attic floor insulation
- Properly ventilate roof, attic, and eaves
- Install heat tape
- Act fast with a roof rake during a heavy snow
- Calcium chloride or ice melt